Tuesday, April 3, 2012

APRIL!

April, 'the fashion issue'... pages and pages of over priced products, and images of a fashion world, a lifestyle, so far removed from my own.
Images of Christie Turlington and Galliano, both identifiably big names in fashion. Similar to Tribe Called Quest and Biggie in hip hop, they're names that helped identify an industry and shape a subculture.
But those days are done! Christie (god bless her) now has a family, Galliano has been black listened after making a insensitive Jewish comment that Natalie Portman didn't take kindly to. Biggie is dead and Tribe Called Quest, are at the end of a rapidly fraying rope.


I knew what I wanted to do with this issue...Rip, rip, rip, I ripped out each page. And as I cut my April issue of Marie Claire into tiny little rectangles, I had an evil smile of satisfaction. How ironic is was, the time and money spent on creating this issue, the symbolic images of fashion, now just little pieces on my floor.

My pleasure in cutting, may have something to do with watching Catwalk one to many times as a teenager - Catwalk is a doco that follows fashion week in the early 90's. I'm thankful I no longer care about that world like I use to. 'That's what I think of that' I though while holding my scissors in triumph. Gallianos head cut, and lost in a sea of paper.

Photographer Troyt Coburn.
At First Sight Marie Claire

What am I going to do with all my little bits of paper you ask? I'm going to make my own paper! But I'll blog about my recycled paper later. Because first I wanted to let you know that I did keep some pages of Aprils Marie Claire.
A feature on The Australian Childhood Foundation's, Heartfelt Art Therapy Program, I'm looking forward to blogging about this program. As well as images from two gorgeous photoshoots. Sharp Contrast and At First Sight Along with my usual cut out collection of pretty and inspirational 'images'
AM

No comments:

Post a Comment